Homelessness Prevention and Assistance

Although IHFA does not provide grants to individuals, Idaho’s network of service providers offers a variety of services and assistance to persons experiencing homelessness, or who are at risk of becoming homeless. If you need help, the information and links on these pages will assist you in locating services near you.


Toll-Free Housing Hotline - Idaho Housing and Finance Association’s Housing Information Referral Center (HIRC) exists to answer your housing questions. HIRC staff provides information and referrals to housing consumers, providers, and advocates. The new Housing Assistance Guide contains answers to the most frequently asked questions about existing housing programs, or you may contact HIRC staff at 208-331-4877 or toll free at 877-438-4472, or by email at hirc@ihfa.org


Available services include:


Emergency Solutions - The Emergency Solution Grants (ESG) program is designed to be the first step in a continuum of assistance to prevent homelessness and to enable homeless individuals and families to move toward independent living. If you would like additional information about the ESG program, you may email IHFA Grant Programs at grants@ihfa.org or call 1-877-4GRANTS. 

Transitional Housing - The transitional housing component facilitates the movement of homeless individuals and families to permanent housing. Homeless persons may live in transitional housing for up to 24 months and receive supportive services such as childcare, job training, and home furnishings that help them live more independently.


Click here to locate emergency and transitional housing providers in your area.


Permanent Supportive Housing - This component provides long-term housing with supportive services for homeless persons with disabilities. This type of supportive housing enables special needs populations to live as independently as possible in a permanent setting.


Shelter Plus Care - The Shelter Plus Care Program provides rental assistance for hard-to-serve homeless persons with disabilities in connection with supportive services funded from sources outside the program. 


HOPWA (Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS) - This program works with organizations throughout the State of Idaho that specialize in HIV/AIDS related services. If you, or your family, are in need of HIV/AIDS housing services, you may contact the Housing Information Referral Center at 1-877-438-4472


Terms and Definitions (requires Adobe Reader for viewing)


Click here for a list of Additional Resources for information on Homelessness


Click here to search for affordable rental housing in your area.