Homeownership Market and Needs
Did you know? Idaho had the highest annual home price appreciation (11.5%) in the U.S. in the third quarter of 2019. The national average was 4.9%, according to Federal Housing Finance Agency data.
Housing Price Index
What the HPI says about Idaho: For the second consecutive quarter, Idaho had the highest annual home price appreciation (11.5%) in the nation. Boise, at 11.1 percent, was tops among the nation’s 100 largest metropolitan areas over the 12 months ending in Sept. 2019. Explore the data.
IHFA's Housing Needs Assessment
What IHFA’s Housing Needs Assessment says about Idaho: Forty-two percent of Idaho households are considered low- to moderate-income, earning 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI) or less.
HUD Housing Affordability Data
What HUD’s Comprehensive Housing Affordability Strategy (CHAS) data says about Idaho: Only half of the state’s rental units are affordable (30% of monthly income) to Idaho residents. There are more than 41,000 renter households that are housing cost-burdened. The largest group is those earning 0-30% of the Area Median Income. There are nearly 52,000 homeowner households who are housing cost-burdened. Explore the data.
Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed Data
What the ALICE data says about Idaho: Of the state’s 609,028 households, 14% lived in poverty in 2016 (the most recent study). Another 26% were ALICE (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed). Combined, 40% (246,326 households) had income below the ALICE Threshold, an increase of 14% since 2010. Explore the data.
Rental Market and Needs
Did you know? An Idahoan working at minimum wage ($7.25 an hour) has to work 67 hours a week to afford a one-bedroom rental home at HUD’s Fair Market Rent ($629), according to the National Low-Income Housing Coalition.
2019 Out of Reach Report
Affordable Rental Vacancy Rates
Did you know? A minimum of 5,546 Idahoans experienced homelessness in 2018, a 15% increase over the previous year, according to the most recent “State of Homelessness in Idaho” report.
State of Homelessness in Idaho Report
Point In Time Count
What the Point In Time count says about Idaho: Since 2009, Idaho’s unsheltered homeless population has increased 113%. The increase can be mostly attributed to improved counting efforts and rising housing costs in the state. Explore the data.