Under contract with HUD, Idaho Housing administers federal rental assistance programs that help low-income families and elderly or disabled individuals obtain decent, affordable rental housing.
The demand for rental assistance far exceeds the supply. Applicants are usually placed on waiting lists from 12 to 24 months, depending on their current housing status and the area of the state and program funding levels.
Persons requiring rental assistance can apply at the Idaho Housing Branch Office that serves their region. Idaho Housing branch offices are located in Coeur d’Alene, Lewiston, Twin Falls and Idaho Falls.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance?
How Does It Work?
The preference for which you qualify, the date of your application and rental assistance availability all determine how quickly you will receive assistance. Once your name comes to the top of the waiting list, you will be contacted by your local branch office to complete eligibility determination and participate in a participant briefing that explains the program.
Am I Eligible for Voucher Rental Assistance?
Tenants under these programs pay approximately 30 percent of their adjusted gross monthly income for rent and utilities. As a tenant’s income changes, the tenant’s rent share changes proportionately.
You may not be considered eligible if you:
- Owe money to IHFA or any other housing authority;
- Have ever committed fraud while participating in a federal housing program;
- Have ever been evicted from public housing;
- Have committed drug-related or violent criminal acts; or
- Are determined to be ineligible due to other reasons as defined by HUD.
What are My Responsibilities as a Participant?
- Pay your share of the rent.
- Pay your share of utilities (if any)
- Not damage the property.
- Notify the IHFA Branch Office and landlord if you wish to move to another unit.
- Permit IHFA to conduct inspections to ensure the property is in good condition.
- Immediately report any changes in your household members and income.
- Supply all requested documentation.
Where Can I Live?
- Mobile Homes
- To be Accepted, Units Must:
- Have adequate living space.
- Have adequate heating, electrical, water and sewer system
- Be free from any conditions that might endanger your health and safety
Equal Housing Opportunity
Need More Information?
Coeur d’Alene Office:
915 W. Canfield Ave.
Coeur d’Alene, Idaho 83815
(208) 762-5113 Toll-free 1-866-621-2994
Email: Coeur d’Alene Office
Idaho Falls Office:
506 S. Woodruff
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83401
(208) 522-6002 Toll-free 1-866-684-3756
Email: Idaho Falls Office
2338 Nez Perce Drive
Lewiston, Idaho 83501
(208) 743-0251 Toll-free 1-866-566-1727
Email: Lewiston Office
Twin Falls Office:
844 N. Washington, Suite 300
Twin Falls, Idaho 83301
(208) 734-8531 Toll-free 1-866-234-3435
Email: Twin Falls Office
The phone number for IHFA’s Boise Administration Office is (208) 331-4700 or toll-free 855.505.4700.
Email: IHFA Office Boise
Please note: Idaho Housing and Finance Association’s Idaho Falls office will be moving to 1235 Jones St. The new office will open Sept. 30, 2019. All phone numbers and email addresses will remain the same. The office will be closed Sept. 26-27 to accommodate the relocation.